"Stay Up To Date With Our Latest News"

Parole Hearing For Deputy’s Killer


Information regarding the parole hearing of the killer of MCSO Deputy Vern Marconnet, EOW 06/30/1988. I am sure many retired deputies remember Dep. Marconnet, and for those of us who attended Phoenix Regional/ALEA remember the Marconnet run at the end of the academy. His killer is up for a parole hearing on Wednesday, 0830 hours, at 1645 W. Jefferson St in Phoenix.

This was an especially heinous, cold-blooded murder of an on-duty deputy. I encourage members to attend the hearing if they are able to, or to contact the deputy county attorney and/or the victim advocate for this case.

If you are able to, I urge you to help honor his sacrifice for the citizens of the County and the State. See below from MCSO Captain Paul Chagolla for the date and time of the hearing.


Mary Ward, President Maricopa Lodge 5

Re: Deputy Vern Marconnet EOW 06/30/1988 – Deputy Marconnet’s murderer, Miguel Herrera, will receive a parole hearing at 8:30am this Wednesday @ 1645 W. Jefferson Street, Phoenix, Arizona. The representing MCAO DCA is Matthew Elias. The date and time of the hearing can be verified with AZ DOC Victim Advocate Brian Bilby.


Paul Chagolla #S956

Deputy Vernon Marconnet was shot and killed after he stopped to investigate two suspicious vehicles. He found a father and three sons who had been drinking and arguing. Just after Deputy Marconnet called for backup a 911 call was received stating that an officer was in trouble. When officers arrived they found Deputy Marconnet dead beside his car. All four subjects were arrested and charged with murder.

An investigation revealed when Deputy Marconnet was putting the older man into the patrol car, one of his sons grabbed the deputy’s police radio and hit him in the head with it causing a deep gash. Another son grabbed his gun and forced Deputy Marconnet to lie on the ground. Ordered by his father, he shot Deputy Marconnet in the head killing him instantly.

The father and the two sons who attacked and shot Deputy Marconnet were convicted of his murder and sentenced to death. Their sentences were later commuted to life. The third son entered into a plea bargain arrangement and was sentenced to 10 years.

Deputy Marconnet had served with the agency for 19 years. He was survived by his wife, two sons, and two daughters.